Answered By: Meg Holle Last Updated: Feb 23, 2017 Views: 5290
There are two ways to get Kindle books from the Library, which can be read on a Kindle or through the free Kindle app on another device:
- Get Kindle books from the catalog
This method is good if you know exactly what you want.
- Get Kindle books using OverDrive (see below)
This method is best for browsing and discovering titles, because you can limit your search to just Kindle books.
Get Kindle books from OverDrive:
- Go to OverDrive.
- Find a book.
- Click to search by title, author or topic.
- Click Subjects or Collections to browse (first click if needed).
To see only Kindle books, use the filter under eBooks (on the left on full-sized screens or on top under Filters on devices). Select Kindle to see only books in that format.
Alternatively, go to the Advanced Search. Under Formats choose Kindle Books, make other desired selections and then Search.
- Tap Borrow if available. If the item has a wait list, you can place a hold to get in line. If prompted, sign in using your Library Card number and PIN.
- The message "This title is now checked out to you" appears at the top. Click to go to your Loans.
- Next to the book, click Download and then click Kindle Book.
- Amazon will load in a new tab or window. Find Get library book on the right. If you are already signed in, confirm the device to which you want the book delivered with the drop-down menu and then click Get library book.
If you are not signed in, click Get library book and sign into your Amazon account. You will then choose your device and click Continue.
- Your Kindle book will be delivered the next time your device syncs (wirelessly, or by plugging it into your computer with a USB cord).
If you have a Kindle tablet (Kindle Fire / HD / HDX), you can use the OverDrive app to check out Kindle books plus EPUB format eBooks and MP3 Audiobooks, which you can listen to through the app (learn more).