Answered By: Justin Broce Last Updated: Dec 12, 2016 Views: 662
You do not need a Kindle device to read Kindle books—ones that you borrow from the Library or ones that you buy. You can read them on a smartphone, tablet or computer using the free Kindle app or you can read them in an internet browser using Kindle Cloud Reader. An Amazon account is required.
Tip: If you use OverDrive and accidentally chose the Kindle format, you can try one of the options below, OR you can still use the Read Now function to read in your browser, OR you can ask that OverDrive reset your checkout. They will return the Kindle book and then you can check out the EPUB format. Request this by filling out the OverDrive support form.
The instructions below presume you've already borrowed a Kindle book from the Library. Here's how to do that, if needed:
- Get Kindle books using OverDrive
This method is best for browsing and discovering titles.
- Get Kindle books from the catalog
This method is good if you know exactly what you want.
Option 1: Use the Kindle app
- Go to your device's app store and download the free Kindle app or get the app or software for your PC or Mac here.
- Open the app or install the software and complete the sign up.
- Go to your OverDrive account (through the OverDrive app or on OverDrive's site) and tap Get Kindle Book (if need, first tap Choose a Format). You may have already done this, but this time you'll be able to choose to send it to your device.
- Amazon will load in a new tab or window. Find Get library book on the right. If you are already signed in, confirm the device to which you want the book delivered with the drop-down menu and then click Get library book.
If you are not signed in, click Get library book and sign into your Amazon account. You will then choose your device and click Continue.
- Your Kindle book will appear in the Kindle app.
Option 2: Use the Kindle Cloud Reader
If you completed the checkout on Amazon and chose Kindle Cloud Reader, you can read the book here: http://read.amazon.com
If you didn't complete the checkout or you aren't sure, try this:
- Go to your OverDrive account (through the OverDrive app or on OverDrive's site) and tap Get Kindle Book next to the book (if need, first tap Choose a Format).
- Amazon will load in a new tab or window. Find Get library book on the right. If you are already signed in, confirm that it will deliver to your Kindle Cloud Reader and click Get library book.
If you are not signed in, click Get library book and sign into your Amazon account. You will then choose the Kindle Cloud Reader and click Continue.
- To read your book, go to http://read.amazon.com, sign in with your Amazon account and start reading.