Answered By: Meg Holle Last Updated: Feb 23, 2017 Views: 195
You can read OverDrive eBooks on your basic eReader, like a NOOK GlowLight or Kobo Glo. A computer is required to download the eBook, which can then be transferred to your eReader with its USB cord using Adobe Digital Editions software.
Get Started with OverDrive for eReaders
Install Adobe Digital Editions
- On a PC or Mac, go to Adobe Digital Editions: Download and download Adobe Digital Editions.
- Install Adobe Digital Editions as you would any other program by double-clicking the program icon, clicking Run and following the prompts.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions, click Help at the top and then click Authorize Computer.
- If you already have an Adobe ID, enter it and your password and click Authorize.
No Adobe ID? Use an OverDrive account instead:
- If you don't already have one, get an OverDrive account here, using the Enter your details option, not the library card or Facebook options.
- Back on the Computer Authorization prompt in Adobe Digital Editions, change the drop-down menu from Adobe ID to OverDrive.
- Enter your OverDrive ID (your email address) and password and then click Authorize.
- Click OK on the success screen.
Find eBooks to borrow
- Go to OverDrive and find a title:
- Click to search by title, author or topic.
- Click Subjects or Collections to browse (first click if needed).
You need the EPUB format. After seeing initial results, on the left under eBooks choose EPUB eBook to see only this format. If you do not see these options on the left, select Filters at the top of your results to see them.
For more details or a preview sample, click an item cover.
- Click Borrow. If the item has a wait list, you can place a hold to get in line. If prompted, sign in using your Library Card number and PIN.
- The message "This title is now checked out to you" appears at the top in red. Click to go to your Loans. Click Download and then pick EPUB eBook.
- Go to where you downloaded the eBook (likely your desktop or your downloads folder). This is an .acsm file. Double-click the icon to load it into Adobe Digital Editions:
Transfer the eBook to your eReader
- Plug your eReader into your computer with its USB cord.
- Go the home screen of Adobe Digital Editions (if the book is open, click Library in the top left corner).
- Confirm that your eReader is recognized under Devices in the left column. If you don't see it, close Adobe Digital Editions and open the program again, leaving your eReader plugged in. If this doesn't work, see this advice.
- Click-and-drag the book cover onto the device listed in the left column.
- Once the transfer is complete, you can disconnect your device.