Willie Mae Kirk Branch Library will be closed the morning of December 5, 2023. We expect the branch to reopen at noon.
Answered By: Tina Van Winkle Last Updated: Feb 08, 2023 Views: 6345
If you're having trouble with one of the Library's online resources, first go to the database's information page by clicking the database name from the full database list. Currently known issues and potential workarounds will be listed.
If there are no known issues, see the below tips:
Library Resource Troubleshooting
- Start at the resource’s Virtual Library page. Instructions for use, known issues and potential workarounds are listed there.
- Go to the resource’s Virtual Library page and click Access Now. You will be asked to sign in with your Library Card number and password/PIN. Do not access the online resources through saved links or bookmarks.
My APL Account / Library Card Troubleshooting
- Be sure your Library Card is active. See the expiration date in My APL > My Settings or call 512-974-7475. Expired cards and accounts with fines over $24.99 are blocked from using the Virtual Library.
- Have your password/PIN handy. You can reset your password/PIN if you’ve forgotten it.
- TexShare Cardholders must access the online resources through their home libraries.
- Refresh your browser.
- Turn off your VPN (Virtual Private Network).
- Check your firewall settings. Some firewalls, proxy servers and security software block the ports that the Library uses to provide remote access (ports 2048 and above). Reconfigure your personal security software to allow these ports or check with your Systems Administrator. You can also try a different network, such as public WiFi or your home internet access.
- Disable pop-up blockers if you can't download files. Pop-up blockers may interfere with downloading some documents.
- Turn off any ISP accelerators, such as the Google Web accelerator.
- If you use a Comcast modem/router, you need to change a firewall setting to access Library resources.
- We have a limited number of concurrent users allowed for some online resources. If you get a message like this, please access the resource later. See the resource’s Virtual Library page to learn if there are limited users.
If none of the above helps, try to access the resource later. Most technical problems are resolved within an hour or so. If you have recurring problems, call Ask a Librarian at 512-974-7400, Option 1, or email us detailing the issue.
We will want to know what kind of device you are using (PC, tablet, etc.), its operating system, which browsers you've tried, and whether you are on a home, public or work network. Also please share any error messages that you receive.