Answered By: Andrea Schwartz Last Updated: Jan 09, 2017 Views: 5781
You can volunteer at the Austin Public Library to fulfill your community service requirement, but the approval process can take several months and you must meet certain criteria. See the Community Service Opportunities page for details.
Below are other organizations that welcome volunteers with court-mandated community service hours to complete. They all have relatively quick and easy signup and orientation procedures. Please note that you should always bring your paperwork/verification forms with you to the site.
Austin Humane Society, 124 W. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX
- Orientations every Friday at 9:00 AM
- Austin Humane Society Community Service Requirement Program
- Contact Rick Trinidad at 512-685-0140 or RTrinidad@austinhumanesociety.org
Austin Pets Alive!, 1156 W Cesar Chavez, Austin, TX; 512-961-6519
- Email email@example.com for initial review of eligibility; one hour on-site training class
Caritas, 611 Neches St. or 9027 Northgate Blvd.
- Onsite training included in volunteer shift
- Contact Irma Galarza at 512-472-4135, ext. 131 or Tanya Greenough at 512-472-4135, ext. 17
Goodwill Industries, various locations
- One hour orientation held twice a week:
- South Austin: Oak Hill - 7100 West US Highway 290, Suite C - 1:00 pm every Sunday
- North Central Austin: Macfarlane - 8965 Research Blvd. - 6:30 pm every Wednesday
- More details at Goodwill of Central Texas Community Service Hours page or 512-637-7100
Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, 500 W Ben White Blvd, Austin, TX; 512-472-8788
- Online registration form and printable Volunteer Waiver are on the Mandated Volunteer Hours page.
Inside Books Project (Books to prisoners program), 3121 E. 12th St, Austin, TX
- Hosts volunteer hours every Thursday and Sunday, 7pm – 11pm and every second Monday of the month, 10am – 2pm.
- New volunteers should arrive promptly at 7:00 on Tuesday or Sunday to receive an orientation
- Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin, TX; 512-232-0200
- The Wildflower Center has lots of shifts specifically for community service needs. Register as a volunteer using the center’s online form.
PAWS Shelter of Central Texas, 500 FM 150 East, Kyle, TX; 512-268-1611
- 18 years or older; volunteers can show up any day at 9:00 AM and plan on staying at least 4 hours
Top Drawer Thrift Store, 4902 Burnet Road, Austin, TX
- Contact Volunteer Coordinator, Ricardo Jimenez at 512-454-8646 ext. 104 or email@example.com