Answered By: Meg Holle Last Updated: Jul 12, 2017 Views: 649
Enjoy eBooks, audiobooks and videos using OverDrive on your computer running Windows 7 or older.
- Easiest method: Use OverDrive without any software by viewing content in a browser.
- Download content for offline viewing: See instructions below. This may require additional software.
Get Started with OverDrive for Windows 7 and older
Find items to borrow
- Go to OverDrive and find a title:
- Click to search by title, author or topic.
- Click Subjects or Collections to browse (first click if needed).
Once you have a list of items...
can only be streamed; videos cannot be downloaded.
- Click Borrow. If the item has a wait list, you can place a hold to get in line. If prompted, sign in using your Library Card number and PIN.
- The message "This title is now checked out to you" appears at the top in red. Click to go to your Loans.
Jump to your format
The easiest way to read an eBook is to select
The last option to read an eBook requires additional free software. Here is the process:
- In your OverDrive Loans, click Download and then pick EPUB eBook.
- Go to Adobe Digital Editions: Download and download Adobe Digital Editions.
- Install Adobe Digital Editions as you would any other program by double-clicking the program icon, clicking Run and following the prompts.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions, click Help at the top and then click Authorize Computer.
- If you already have an Adobe ID, enter it and your password and click Authorize.
No Adobe ID? Use an OverDrive account instead:If you don't already have one, get an OverDrive account here, using the Enter your details option, not the library card or Facebook options.
Back on the Computer Authorization prompt in Adobe Digital Editions, change the drop-down menu from Adobe ID to OverDrive.
Enter your OverDrive ID (your email address) and password and then click Authorize.
Click OK on the success screen.
- Go to where you downloaded the eBook (likely your desktop or your downloads folder). This is an .acsm file. Double-click the icon to load it into Adobe Digital Editions:
- The book should open. If not, double-click the book cover to open it. Options are available at the top, including:
= bookmark your place
= table of contents and other title info
= font style and size settings
The easiest way to listen to an audiobook is to select
Pick up where you left off any time before the book expires by returning to your OverDrive Loans and clicking Listen in Browser again. There is no offline feature with this option.
To download and listen to the audiobook offline, or if the browser option is not available, you will need to install additional free software. Here's how:
- In your OverDrive Loans, click Download MP3 Audiobook.
- Go to OverDrive: Get the App, scroll down if needed and click Download for Windows Desktop to get the OverDrive Media Console.
- Install the OverDrive Media Console as you would any other program by double-clicking the program icon, clicking Run and following the prompts.
- Go to where you downloaded the audiobook file (likely your desktop or your downloads folder) and double-click the audiobook icon:
- The OverDrive Media Console will automatically activate. On the Get Media prompt, click OK. If you receive a message asking if you want to create a new media folder, click Yes.
- On the Download prompt, all parts should be checked. Click OK. It may take a few minutes for the book to fully download, depending on your internet speed.
- To listen to the book after it has downloaded, click the title to highlight it blue then click the Play button.
To start a video, click
The video cannot be downloaded to your computer. If needed, pick up where you left off any time before the video expires by returning to your OverDrive Loans and clicking Watch Now again.