Answered By: Meg Holle Last Updated: Jul 13, 2017 Views: 195
Enjoy eBooks, audiobooks and videos using OverDrive on your Chromebook. An app is available (described below), but it is difficult to use and videos cannot be viewed through the app. We recommend that you instead use the instructions, how to use OverDrive without an app.
You might want the app if you want to download audiobooks and then listen to them offline (where you do not have internet access). This cannot be done without the app. There are also some books that are not available without the app, so your selection will be slightly larger if you use it.
OverDrive for Chromebook
Download and set up the app (a one-time process)
- On your Chromebook, go to the Chrome Web Store, search for OverDrive and add the free app.
- Open the app, tap Sign Up and then tap Sign up using library card.
- On the Find your library screen, in the box enter: Austin Public Library. Then tap Go.
- Tap one of our branches—it doesn't matter which one.
- Enter your Card Number and password. Tap Sign In.
Borrow and use titles
- Find a title to borrow:
- Click to search by title, author or topic.
- Click Subjects or Collections to browse.
Once you have a list of items...
can only be streamed; videos cannot be downloaded.
- Click Borrow if available. If the item has a wait list, you can place a hold to get in line. If prompted, sign in using your Library Card number and PIN.
- The message "This title is now checked out to you" appears at the top in red. Tap Loans in this message.
- For Audiobooks, tap Download MP3 audiobook.
For eBooks, tap Download and pick EPUB eBook.
You can also choose the Kindle format if you'd like to use the Kindle app on your Chromebook or to send the book to a Kindle device. Start at Step 5 on these instructions.
- Items will load in the app. To use them, click and then click Bookshelf from the slide-out menu.
- Click the item to open it. Audiobooks show options automatically. For eBooks, click in the center of your device to see options, including:
= for styling options (font size, line spacing, etc.)
= to bookmark your place
= to see the Table of Contents and other title information