Answered By: Meg Holle Last Updated: Aug 20, 2017 Views: 540
Enjoy eBooks, eAudiobooks and videos using OverDrive on your Kindle tablet (Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD/HDX). If you want to only use the Kindle format—or if you have a non-tablet Kindle like a Paperwhite—follow these instructions:
- How do I borrow Kindle books using OverDrive?
This method is best for browsing and discovering titles.
- How do I download Kindle books from the catalog?
This method is good if you know exactly what you want.
If you want eAudiobooks and streaming video plus more eBooks for your Kindle Fire, see below.
See instructions as a PDF
OverDrive for Kindle Fire
Download and set up the app (a one-time process)
- Using your Kindle, go to the Amazon Appstore and install the free OverDrive app. You may need your Amazon ID.
- Open the app, tap Sign Up and then tap Sign up using library card.
- On the Find your library screen, in the box enter: Austin Public Library. Then tap Go.
- Tap one of our branches—it doesn't matter which one.
- Enter your Card Number and password. Tap Sign In.
Borrow and use content
- In the OverDrive app, tap the menu in the top left:
- Tap Austin Public Library from the slide-out menu to go our OverDrive catalog.
- Find an item to borrow.
Once you have a list of items...
can only be streamed; videos cannot be downloaded.
- Tap Borrow if available. If the item has a wait list, you can place a hold to get in line. If prompted, sign in using your Library Card number and PIN.
- The message "This title is now checked out to you" appears at the top in red. If available, tap Add to App to load the title directly into the app and go to Step 7.
If you don't see this button or prefer the Kindle format, tap Loans in the message.
- For Audiobooks, tap Download MP3 audiobook.
For Videos, tap Add to App to stream it. Videos cannot be downloaded.
For eBooks, tap Choose a Format and pick one. The book content is the same, though you might prefer one app's interface or options over the other.
Kindle Books will be sent to your Kindle app like a regular Kindle book. Follow the process here, starting at Step 5.
EPUB eBooks will download to the OverDrive app. Continue with Step 7 below.
- Items will load in the app. To see them, tap and then tap Bookshelf from the slide-out menu. Tap the item to open it. Audiobooks show options automatically. For eBooks and Videos, tap in the center of your device to see options, including:
= for styling options (font size, line spacing, etc.)
= to bookmark your place
= to see the Table of Contents and other title information